Croque monsieur casserole
- 12 oz day old baguette cut into 20 slices
- 2 t melted butter
- 2 t dijon
- 9 oz shredded gruyere
- 8 oz thinly sliced black forest ham
- 4 egss
- 1 1/4 c whole milk
- salt and pepper
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 30mins
1) chop half the bread into 1/2" pieces and toss with melted butter.
2) spread mustard over remaining bread and arrange overlapping slightly in a greased 2 qt baking dish. sprinkle half cup cheese on top. fold ham slices in half and arrange in even layer over bread. top with half of remaining cheese. sprinkle with chopped bread and rest of cheese.
3) in bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. pour over casserole and let stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
4) position rack in upper third of a 400 oven. bake til puffs and is golden, about 30 minutes. let cool 5 minutes before serving