Yam Pecan Pie
- 1 (15 oz.) can yams (sweet potatoes) drained and mashed
- 1 refrigerated 9-inch pie crust
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 large egg whites
- 2/3 c. dark corn syrup
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 c. pecans, chopped
Adapted from foodpyramidonline.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lay pie crust in a 9 " pie dish.
3. In a mixing bowl, blend together the yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crust.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat together the remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar, and vanilla until mixture is frothy. Stir in pecans. Carefully spoon over yam layer.
5. Bake for 50 to 60 min. or until filling is set around edges and a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean. Cool and serve.