Mashed "Potatoes" With Chives
Course: side dishes
PointsPlus™ Value: 2
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Surprise, surprise: Cauliflower replaces nearly all the usual butter in these calorie-friendly mashed spuds.
- 8 oz cauliflower, florets
- 3 small uncooked Yukon Gold potato(es), peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 10 oz)
- 2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), peeled
- 1 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chives, fresh, snipped
Place cauliflower, potatoes, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain and return to saucepan.
Stir in milk, butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in chives and serve. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.