Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
- For the Lime Pickled Red Onions:
- 2 pound tri-tip beef roast
- 1 medium bunch of cilantro
- 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers
- 1 small white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed with a mortar & pestle
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 large red onion, sliced into strips
- Juice of 4 key limes or 2 regular limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. In the blender, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade, adding 1½ teaspoons of salt. Blend on high until smooth, taste for salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, lime juice, and salt. Stir well to combine. Cover and chill.
2. Transfer the beef to a medium slow cooker, pour all of the marinade over the top. Turn to coat both sides. Cook on high for 4 hours or until beef is tender and easy to shred. If you are cooking it overnight or while you are away, cook on low for 8 hours.
3. While beef is still warm, take two forks and shred the meat apart. Pour some of the juices remaining in the slow cooker over shredded meat. Remove red onions from refrigerator, stir and taste for salt. Heat a dozen corn or flour tortillas to make tacos. Top beef tacos with salsa, guacamole and lime pickled red onions. Yields up to 6 servings, 2 tacos per person.