Lemon Bliss Cake
- 1cup1 cup unsalted butter
- 2cups2 cups sugar
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon salt
- 4large4 large eggs
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3cups3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1cup1 cup milk
- finely grated rind of 2 lemons OR 3/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- 1/3cup1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4cup3/4 cup sugar
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 10" tube pan, or a 9" to 10", 9- to 10-cup capacity bundt-style pan.
1. Beat together the butter, sugar, and salt, first till combined, then till fluffy.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add the baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in the grated lemon rind or lemon oil.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
5. Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lemon juice and sugar. Set it aside.
7. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. Place another rack on top, and flip it over, so it's right-side-up.
8. Poke the hot cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick.
9. Stir the glaze to combine, and immediately brush it on the hot cake. Let it sink in, then brush on more glaze, continuing until all the glaze is used up.
10. Allow the cake to cool before slicing.