Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Hot cooked rice
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Peel shrimp, reserving shells, and devein, if desired. Set meat aside.
Combine shrimp shells and chicken broth in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding shells. Set broth aside, and keep warm.
Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat until browned. Remove sausage; set aside. Measure drippings, adding enough oil to measure 1/2 cup. Cook oil mixture and flour in Dutch oven over medium-low heat about 35 to 40 minutes, whisking constantly, until roux is chocolate colored. (Be careful with this step, it will burn quickly after it reaches the chocolate brown stage.)
Stir in onion and next 3 ingredients; cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring often. Gradually stir in warm broth; bring mixture to a boil. Stir in bay leaves and next 4 ingredients; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in shrimp, sausage, and green onions; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaves. Serve over hot rice.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Cream Cake from Cook's... 4.3/5 (72 Votes)
- Queso Spinach Bacon Dip 4.4/5 (55 Votes)
- Creamy Coconut Shrimp 4.3/5 (79 Votes)
- Fish Fry Batter 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Seared Scallops with Cauliflower... 4.9/5 (16 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast... 4.5/5 (50 Votes)
- Chayote and Shrimp Soup Seasoned... 4.8/5 (11 Votes)