- 5 cups fresh dried breadcrumbs (made from dried day-old bread)
- Butter, for greasing the dish
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 medium eggplants (about 2 1/4-pounds), cut into 1/2-inch-thick round slices (need about 18 slices)
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
- 12 ounces grated mozzarella (not fresh), plus1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces grated fontina
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
Place the bread crumbs into a large shallow bowl. Add the herbs, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. In another medium shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and 2 tablespoons of water together.
Season each eggplant slice on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge each eggplant slice in the flour, tapping off excess, then dip it in the egg, and finally dredge it in the bread crumb mixture. Shake off any excess breading and transfer the egg plant to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
Heat 1/2-inch of oil in 2 large straight-sided saute pans over medium heat until the oil reaches a temperature of 385 degrees F. Working in small batches, fry a few of the eggplant slices, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with some of the tomato sauce and arrange 1/2 of the eggplant over the sauce. Cover the eggplant with some of the sauce, grated mozzarella, fontina, Romano cheese and some of the basil. Repeat to make 3 layers ending with the sauce. Top with the fresh mozzarella and remaining Romano and bake until hot and just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/eggplant-parmesan-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback