Raw Marzipan Truffles
- For the truffles:
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup date paste (or 1 cup dates)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. coconut butter (not oil)
- 1/4 tsp. raw cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. almond essence
- pinch salt (omit for healthier version)
- For the coating:
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground (optional) or 1 tbsp. shredded coconut
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Adapted from gluten-free-vegan-girl.com
1. Place all ingredients for the truffles in a food processor and process until smooth. If using date paste instead of whole dates, simply knead together ingredients until a smooth dough is formed.
2. Roll about 1 tbsp. of dough to form a ball, then roll in cocoa powder (or cocoa + cinnamon/coconut mixture). Place in sealed container and refrigerate until chilled. Keep refrigerated (or freeze for firmer truffles).
Note: Coconut butter is essentially just dehydrated coconut that has been blended to make a cream. It is a whole food and not the same as coconut oil, which is simply the oil without the meat of the coconut. For homemade coconut butter, simply add unsweetened shredded coconut to food processor and process until a creamy paste.