Smoked French Lentil Soup
- splash low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into discs
- 5 medium to large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups French lentils (or brown lentils)
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
- a few dashes chipotle Tabasco sauce, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from plantpoweredkitchen.com
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the splash low-sodium vegetable broth, onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, paprika, mustard and pepper. Stir, cover, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften.
2. Add the lentils, stir, then add the vegetable stock, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Increase the heat to bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or longer if needed, until the lentils are fully cooked through. Remove the bay leaf. Add the lemon juice, stir, and serve sprinkled with chopped chives.
3. Serve with steamed asparagus, steamed vegetables or a side salad. Optional: serve with whole grain rye bread with cashew "cream cheese".