Sticky Plum Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) orange zest
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 1/2 pound(s) (medium) plums, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- Oil, for the pan
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
Adapted from womansday.com
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the orange juice and 1/3 cup sugar in a large saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the mixture is syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat, add the plums and zest, and set aside, tossing occasionally, until cool.
Oil a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment, then oil the parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium and beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk, beating just until incorporated.
Working in concentric circles from the center, arrange enough plum slices, overlapping slightly, to cover the bottom of the pan. Spoon the juices from the bowl over the top.
Cut the remaining plum slices into 1/2-inch pieces and fold into the cake batter. Spoon the batter over the plums in the pan. Bake until the cake is light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Place a platter over the top of the pan and invert. Peel off the parchment.
You'll also love
- Roasted Baby Dutch Yellow Potato... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Schnitzel with Red Cabbage & Apples 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Donna's Banana Bread 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Plum Buckle 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
Review this recipe