Hoad's hot jalapeno burger
From LA Times. This burger was one of 5 finalists in LA Times burger recipe contest. From Julia Hoadley of San Diego.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tajin clasico seasoning or taco seasoning
- 2 to 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced, or sliced canned jalapenos
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 jalapeno cheese bagels, toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Fresh avocado slices, for garnish
- Habanero or other hot chile powder
- Hot sauce, preferably homemade or Frank’s
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from latimes.com
1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, green onion, garlic, mustard and taco seasoning. Divide the mixture and form into 4 patties. Cover and refrigerate the patties at least 1 hour to give the flavors time to marry.
2. Heat the grill and season both sides of each patty with habanero powder. Grill the patties on both sides to desired doneness, topping the burgers just before they are done with sliced jalapenos and cheese.
3. Serve the burgers in the toasted bagels, garnish as desired with lettuce, avocado slices and hot sauce.