Applesauce Spice Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups white, whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- Brown-Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
Adapted from holidaycottagepage.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
With an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar and oil.
Add dry ingredients and continue mixing.
Mix in applesauce.
Divide batter among 18 - 20 lined cups.
Bake for 16 - 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely and then frost.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat ingredients until smooth. Use immediately, or refrigerate up to 3 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat on low speed until smooth.