Butternut Squash Soup with Fresh Ginger
Great autumn soup! Creamy and delicious! Easy preparation with oven roasted butternut squash. Roast 1 hour and just scoop it out!
Recipe from Marilyn Harris, "Splendid Cold Weather Soup- Lunch and Learn", Cooks' Wares, October 2013
- 1 large butternut squash (2 1/2- 3 pounds)
- Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I do not add this)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-2 cups half and half
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 90mins
To roast Butternut Squash:
Cut the squash in half, lengthwise. Line a baking sheet with foil. Brush the cut sides of the squash with oil and lightly salt, place cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 1 hour. Cool and scoop out the seeds. (I scoop out the seeds prior to roasting.) Spoon out the pulp when ready to prepare soup.
To make the soup:
In a large heavy pot, (I use my 5 1/2 qt. Le Cruset pan), melt the butter and olive oil. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the ginger, cayenne (if using), salt and brown sugar.
Tie together the thyme and bay leaf and add to the broth. (I like to put the fresh herbs into a tea bag and put in the soup.)
Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the squash and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.
Remove the herbs and puree the mixture with an immersion blender.
Whisk in the cream and reheat, but do not boil.
Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
I like to serve this soup with Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread!
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (398 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll Cake 4.5/5 (269 Votes)