Crock Pot Turkey Legs
- 4 Turkey Legs (or more. I filled my crock pot)
- Oil or butter (optional – I use olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons fresh (or dried) herbs. I use Rosemary, Basil, Oregano.
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt or mixture of Paprika, Garlic Salt, Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water (or white wine). I use more water and wine if making soup the next day.
- Crushed garlic (2-3) cloves
- Chopped onion, carrots, celery (optional)
This is one of those recipes where anything goes. Remember, this recipe can be as simple as just sprinkling dry onion soup mix onto the turkey legs with a bit of water at the bottom, or making the flavors far more complex. Hold loosely the measurements stated, and have fun experimenting. For a Mexican flare, change up the seasonings used.You really don’t need to measure the ingredients. If I only have less than five minutes to throw dinner in the crock pot. I just dump all the above ingredients in, and let the slow cooker do its magic. If afforded additional time, then follow the following recommendation.
Place meat rack on the bottom of the crock pot ( optional)
Brush turkey legs lightly with oil.
In a large skillet, add oil or butter and slightly brown the turkey legs before transferring to crock pot’s meat rack.
Add chopped vegetables to skillet, and saute until slightly softened.
Add cooking wine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add herbs and cook for less than a minute.
Transfer skillet contents to crock pot (remember to de-glaze the pan), and add seasonings.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for approximately Crock pot temperatures vary, so it may be done sooner.
use extra broth to make gravy and serve with rice or risotto.