Nut meringue with chocolate and strawberries
- 6 egg whites
- 375 ml. castor sugar
- 5 ml. cream of tartar
- 5 ml. lemon juice
- 80 ml. ground almonds
- 80 ml. ground hazelnuts
- 45 ml. cornflour
- 250 ml. milk chocolate melts
- 80 ml. butter
- 80 ml. cream
- 250 ml. cream, whipped
- 250 g. strawberries, quartered
- Carnaque curls:
- 100 g. dark chocolate melts, melted
- 100 g. white chocolate melts, melted
1. Preheat oven to 150 & deg C.
2. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
3. Draw a 21 cm circle on each sheet.
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
5. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition; beat until sugar has dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy.
6. Fold in cream of tartar and lemon juice.
7. Using a metal spoon, fold in almonds, hazelnuts and cornflour until just combined.
8. Divide mixture between the trays and spread evenly onto the circles, using the traced paper as a guide.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the meringue is firm and crisp.
10. Leave meringues to cool in turned off oven with door ajar.
11. Melt chocolate and butter in a small pan.
12. Stir in cream and mix until smooth.
13. Cool until mixture thickens to a spreadable consistency.
14. Transfer mixture to bowl and beat, using electric mixer, until creamy.
15. Prepare strawberries by rinsing, hulling and halving.
16. Place one meringue disc on a serving plate and spread with filling.
17. Spoon over whipped cream and strawberries.
18. Top with another disc, then decorate with strawberries and caraque curls.
19. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
20. Dust with sifted icing sugar, if desired.
21. To make caraque curls, spread alternate bands of melted dark and white chocolate on a cool, flat working surface.
Allow to just set, then slowly run a large knife over the chocolate to produce long curls.