Chocolate Pecan Pie
- For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter, preferably unsalted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans, chopped or whole
- 3/4 cup “dark” chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a pie pan mix together crust ingredients thoroughly including flour, salt, butter, and milk. Squeeze the dough into a ball to make sure there is enough moisture. If it crumbles into pieces too easily then add another splash of milk.
Shape the crust by thinning it out with your fingers/hands until the pie dish is evenly covered (pictured above). Feel free to make the edges look “fancy” with a fork.
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt. Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake until pie is set, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Let cool for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.