Cherry Almond Cake
- wet ingredients:
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup minced cherries (remove pits if using fresh and thaw overnight if using frozen to make them easier/safer to cut)
- 1 cup agave nectar (or other sweetener to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- dry ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup unsalted toasted sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (leave out of almonds are salted)
- sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup pitted cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Either spray the muffin pans or line with cupcake liners to make clean up easier.
Mix the wet ingredients together in one bowl and let sit aside while you mix the dry ingredients in a larger bowl.
Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until combined. Scoop into muffin pans and bake until a knife comes out clean or about 20 minutes.
Puree the sauce ingredients in a blender and spoon on top of the cake. You can serve them warm or at room temperature.