What could be more appropriate than cooking with beer on St. Patrick's Day?
This creamy cheese-and beer-lover's soup will have you taste buds dancing an Irish jig.
- 1 tbs. canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 12 ounce bottle beer, preferably ale
- 2 18 oz. bags precooked diced peeled potatoes
- 1 14 oz. can vegetable broth of reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced or finely chopped
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 35mins
Add onions, potatoes, broth and water on high until tender.
Mash ingredients until a desired consistency.
Whisk milk and flour together and add to the soup.
Whish occasionally, until it thickens.
Stir in 1 1/4 cups cheese, keep stirring until melted.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bell pepper.