Basil Corn & Tomato Bake
- 2 teaspoons California Olive Ranch® Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and condensed soup until blended. Stir in vegetables, bread crumbs, basil, salt and onion. Transfer mixture to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Editor's Note: To make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Originally published as Basil Corn & Tomato Bake in Taste of Home September/October 2013, p1-17