Beef Barley Stew
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms (if desired)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Minced fresh parsley
1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add the carrots, onion, celery and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, water, wine, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat are tender.
3. Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley if desired.