Spinach Crab Chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (6 ounces crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed)
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice
For sauce, in a skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab, spinach and parsley, stir in 1/2 cup sauce. Spoon 1/4 cup down the center of each chicken breast half. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Discard the toothpicks. Serve with rice.