Caribbean seafood Stew on Rice
the taste of coconut, montego bay days
- 2 tablespoon olive oil/ divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound orange roughy or tilapia, in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finley chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes undrained
- 3/4 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 8 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 55mins
Stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add fish, toss and coat. Set aside.
Heat remaining olive oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions, greeen pepper, garlic and jalapeno. Cook and stir until onions are tender, 4 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and coconut milk; heat to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occassionaley 10 minutes.
Stir in shrimp, fish mixture and cilantro; return to boil over medium heat. reduce heat and simmer uncovered until fish just flakes easiley with a fork and shrimp turns opaque, 5 minutes. season to taste. Serve over rice, sprinkle with cilantro.