Potato, Green Cabbage and Leek Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche
Hearty soup with great flavor! Alternative to the basic Potato Leek Soup I usually make! I use regular sour cream instead of the creme Fraiche, but it is a nice touch for special occasions! Also, I usually cut this recipe in half for just Russ and myself. That's plenty for two large servings and leftovers for the next day. Serve with Sweet Corn Bread!
Recipe from Marilyn Harris, "Splendid Cold Weather Soups-Lunch and Learn", Cook's Wares, Cincinnati, OH, October 2013
- 1 cup creme Fraiche (I use regular sour cream, usually)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups diced green cabbage (I use 3 cups, equal parts to leeks and potatoes)
- 3 cups chopped leeks (3-4 large- light green and white parts only)
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cups peeled and cubed Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 7 cups chicken broth (I use vegetable broth)
- Red Pepper Flakes, if desired for flavor
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
Whisk together the creme Fraiche, lemon juice and zest. cover and chill until ready to serve.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in large, heavy pot. (I use my Le Cruset 5 1/2 qt. dutch oven.) Add the cabbage. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Saute the cabbage, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Don't cook it too long or it will get an acidic flavor. Remove with a slotted spoon to a side dish and save for later.
Add remaining butter and oil to the pot and add the leeks and shallots. Saute over medium heat until the leeks soften…about 5-6 minutes.
Stir in the potatoes, thyme and broth in the pot and bring to a boil. I put my thyme in a little small tea bag so that I can remove them easily later. You could also tie them together, as a bouquet garni with string.
Reduce to low and cook until the potatoes are tender, 20-30 minutes.
Return cabbage to the pot and cook 5 minutes more.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
Top each serving with some creme Fraiche and sprinkle with chives.
You'll also love
- Tennessee Pork Tenderloin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Old South Carrot Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Loaded Mashed Potato Balls with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Habanero Jelly 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Raspberry Habanero Jelly 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ann Romney's Sweet Potato Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Icebox Key Lime Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sour Orange Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)