Sweet Potato Creme Brulee
- For Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, baked at 425 for one hour, or until soft, and completely cooled.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- For Custard:
- 2 cups whipping cream (sometimes labeled Heavy Cream, no substitutes)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 large egg yolks (save whites for a meringue on a Thanksgiving pie!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Topping:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Adapted from southernplate.com
1.Place sweet potato filling ingredients into large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread into bottom of 8x8 baking dish and set aside.
2.Place all custard ingredients into medium heavy sauce pot and stir well. Place over medium low heat, whisking constantly, for five minutes, or until just warm. Will be very runny.
3.Using a measuring cup, gently scoop and pour custard over sweet potatoes.
4.Place 8x8 baking dish in center of larger baking dish and pour water into larger dish until it is about an inch deep.
5.Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out almost clean. Carefully remove from oven and remove baking dish from water. Allow to cool by placing on a heavy dish towel or wire rack. Once cool, cover with foil and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight. Before serving, remove from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for half an hour. Sprinkle brown sugar over top and turn oven to low broil.
6.Place dish on a baking sheet and put in oven, about 5 inches from broiler, for 5-7 minutes, or until sugar is mostly melted. Remove from oven and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving to allow sugar to harden. Note: Not all sugar will melt but it will form a thin coat across the top of the dish.
You'll also love
- Creamy Pasta with Chicken 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Strawberry Lovers' Pie 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Strawberry Slow Cooker Scoop Cake 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Creamy Baked Corn 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Smothered Chicken with... 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Roxie's Potatoes**** 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties 4.6/5 (18 Votes)