Orange Crush Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Orange Crush
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 15-ounce can Mandarin oranges, drained well and chopped, reserve liquid for icing
- Orange cake coloring (such as Wilton’s)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three, 8-inch cake pans.
2. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl, set aside.
3. Heat butter, confectioners’ sugar, marshmallows and Orange Crush until marshmallows melt. Pour over flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Beat together buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla extract, orange extract and mandarin oranges; add to flour mixture and mix well.
4. Add in small increments of cake coloring until you get desired orange color. Batter will be thin. Bake in prepared pans for a three-layer cake for 25 minutes. Start checking before the time is up. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Remove from pans, cool on a wire rack.
5. Once cool, frost top of first layer, then stack second layer. Frost second layer and stack third layer. Frost top layer and sides.