Lemon Coconut Cheesecake Bars
- 130 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 250g cream cheese, room temperature (not the spreadable, use full fat for the best flavour and texture)
- 1 x 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 6 Tablespoons lemon juice ~ 2 lemons
- 6 Tablespoons thread coconut
Adapted from bakingequalslove.com
1. Preheat oven to 180oC degrees. Line a 21cm square baking dish with baking paper, enough to have a decent overhang to help lift the slice out.
2. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, around 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat till mixed. Sift in flour and beat lightly until just combined. Tip into your prepared baking dish and press down to get an even base. Bake base for 10 minutes. Take out of oven and allow to cool.
3. In separate bowl beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in sweetened condensed milk until mixed thoroughly, making sure you scrape the sides down as you go. Add egg, egg yolk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat on high for 1 minute until the mixture thickens slightly.
4. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over the base and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and not wobbly. Cool completely in the tin and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Cut into 16 slices after the 3 hours refrigerating.
5. Just before serving, toast the thread coconut in the oven at 180oC for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle on top of the slices while the coconut is still hot. Slices will keep in the fridge (without the coconut) for up to 3 days.
NB: If you want to brûlée the slices, sprinkle caster sugar generously over each slice and use a blow torch to caramelize the sugar. Don't try to grill in the oven - it just didn't work for me!