Saucy Asian Meatballs
- MEATBALL Ingredients:
- 2 pounds ground pork or beef, I used 1 lb of each
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup Panko, or breadcrumbs of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced, approximately 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- SAUCE Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup Hoisin sauce or (1) 7 oz jar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Using your hands or a large spoon, mix the ingredients together until well combined. Shape the mixture into 1" balls*. I used a small 1" cookie scoop and was able to form them very quickly. If you prefer larger meatballs, simply use a larger scoop. Place the meatballs on 2 greased baking sheets or sheets lined with silpat mats. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink inside.
While the meatballs are baking, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Gently toss the sauce with the cooked meatballs to coat them once they are finished baking. Alternatively, you can combine the cooked meatballs and the sauce in a crock-pot and keep them warm until ready to eat.
* I made the meatballs pretty small, at just about bite size for most of my family. The recipe made (65) 1" meatballs. The recipe should make approximately (35) 1.5" meatballs.
FREEZER MEAL: Let the meatballs and the sauce cool completely before transferring the meatballs to an airtight container or large freezer safe ziploc bag. Cover with the sauce and freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator prior to reheating in the microwave.