Fluffy Cornmeal Pancakes
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Whisk 1¼ cups buttermilk and cornmeal together in medium bowl. Stir in butter, cover, and microwave until slightly thickened around edges, 60 to 90 seconds, stirring once halfway through cooking. Let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Beat eggs and remaining ½ cup buttermilk together in 1-cup liquid measuring cup. Whisk egg mixture into cornmeal mixture. Whisk cornmeal mixture into flour mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Heat ½ teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until shimmering. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out oil, leaving thin film on bottom of pan. Using level ¼-cup measure, scoop 3 pancakes into pan. Cook until edges are set and bubbles begin to form on tops of pancakes, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip, then cook until second side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to prepared baking sheet in oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and repeat with remaining oil and batter. Serve.