Succotash-Cheddar Casserole with Crunchy Bacon Topping
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
7 points plus
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 29%
Saturated fat: 3.5g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- 2 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 3 bacon slices
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- 15 reduced-fat round buttery crackers (such as Ritz), coarsely crushed
Preheat oven to 375°.
Cook lima beans in boiling water 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Add onion, bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in lima beans and corn.
Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add 1/3 cup milk, stirring with a whisk to form a slurry. Add slurry, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 cup milk, and black pepper to corn mixture; cook over medium heat 2 1/2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts. Spoon into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the cracker crumbs and bacon. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top and bubbly around edges.