Classic Meat Loaf
- BROWN SUGAR-KETCHUP GLAZE
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- MEAT LOAF
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium galic cloves, minced about 2 teaspoons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon style mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 lbs meat loaf mix 50% ground chuck, 25% ground pork, 25% ground veal
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 16) or 1 1/3 cup fresh bead crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced parsley leaves
- 6-8 ounces bacon
FOR THE GLAZE:
Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan; set aside.
FOR THE MEAT LOAF:
Line a 13 by 9-inch baking pan with foil; set aside. (Helps with clean up later)
Heat the oven to 350°.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
Set aside to cool while preparing the remaining ingredients.
Mix eggs with the milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, thyme, and hot sauce.
Combine the egg mixture with the meat in a large bowl and add the crackers, parsley, and cooked onions and garlic.
Mix with a fork until evenly blended and the meat mixture does not stick to the bowl. (if necessary, add more milk, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until the mixture no longer sticks.)
Place the meat mixture into the prepared baking pan.
Brush with half the glaze, the arrange the bacon slices, crosswise, over the loaf, overlapping them slightly and tucking only the bacon tip ends under the loaf.
Bake the loaf until the bacon is crisp and the center of the loaf registers 160° on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 hour.
Cool for at least 20 minutes.
Simmer the remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly.
Slice the meat loaf and serve with the extra glaze passed separately.