Four Step Potato Latkes
A Hanukkah classic, crisp and lacy potato pancakes are a welcome dish all year. From Better Homes and Gardens recipes.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (You may use 1# bag of frozen shredded potatoes.)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Creme fraiche or sour cream (optional)
- Snipped fresh dillweed (optional)
- Applesauce (optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 29mins
Adapted from BHG.com
1. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, garlic, and salt; set aside. Peel potatoes. With a box grater, finely shred potatoes. Add potatoes to egg mixture in bowl. Using 1/3 cup mixture for each latke, squeeze mixture over a separate small bowl to remove excess liquid and shape mixture into 2 1/2-inch patties. (You will have about 1 cup excess liquid; discard liquid).
2. In a 12-inch skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Place patties skillet. Cook for 4 minutes or until latkes are golden brown, turning once (if necessary, reduce heat to medium to prevent overbrowning).
3. Drain on paper towels. Serve topped with creme fraiche or sour cream and dillweed, if desired, or serve with applesauce.