Rhubarb Custard Tea Cake
Perfect springtime tea cake with tart rhubarb. This batter is quite thick, but that is what makes it so delicious!
- 2 sticks butter, 1/2 pound
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 package vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 stalks rhubarb, sliced lengthwise and cut to fit pan
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons custard powder, I use Bird's Custard powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- If you can't find custard powder, you can replace it with 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from eatlittlebird.com
Grease an 8 inch round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
First make the custard.
Add 1/4 cup of cold milk to the custard powder & make a smooth paste. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1 cup of milk. Bring to a boil & slowly add the custard / milk mixture. Keep on stirring till the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Let this custard cool completely. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
Sift together the flour and pudding. Set aside.
Beat together the softened butter and 3/4 cups of sugar until light & fluffy with your electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the sifted flour mixture alternated with the milk until you get a smooth cake batter.
Spread half the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin followed by the custard.
Dollop small spoonfuls of remaining cake mixture over the custard; carefully spread with a spatula to completely cover the custard.
Place the rhubarbs on top & brush them with the melted butter.
Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of sugar.
Bake cake for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.