Bacon and Onion Quiche
- For the Pastry:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 pinches salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 5 ounces smoked bacon, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Mound the flour on a work surface, sprinkle the salt over it and make a well in the center. Cut the butter into small pieces and put them in the well with 1 egg. Mix with the tips of the fingers, from the center outwards, working quickly and not kneading the dough too much. As soon as it no longer sticks to your fingers, roll it into a ball and put it in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Roll out the dough on a work surface. Butter a 10 1/4 inch tart pan and line it with the dough. Prick several times with a fork, without piercing the dough right through; refrigerate for 25 minutes, or until firm.
FOR THE FILLING:
Heat the oil in a 9 1/2 inch nonstick skillet and brown the bacon strips quickly. Remove and set aside on a plate. Wipe out the pan and melt the butter in it. Add the onion and quickly brown. Set aside on a second plate.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Take the pastry shell from the refrigerator and cover it with the onions. Scatter the bacon strips over the top and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Pour the cream into a saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Break the remaining 2 eggs into a ceramic or glass bowl and beat them with a fork. Gradually beat in the hot cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Carefully pour this mixture into the tart shell.
Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving it warm.
You'll also love
- LOBSTER ROASTED WITH GINGER -... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Habanero Jelly 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BEER AND BROWN SUGAR KIELBASA &... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Raspberry Habanero Jelly 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Green Pea Coleslaw 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Pork Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BLACK GARLIC AÏOLI 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Emeril’s Simple Grilled Pork... 0/5 (0 Votes)