Roasted Quince & Mixed Winter Vegetables
- 4 large or 6 small ripe quinces, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 large Garnet or Jewel yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 5 sprigs sage or rosemary
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
Adapted from online.wsj.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except walnuts, tossing well to coat vegetables in oil. Divide vegetables, spread out in a single layer, among two large baking sheets or roasting pans.
Place in oven and bake until vegetables are tender, caramelized and slightly charred, about 1 hour. Stir vegetables several times and switch pans between racks at least once during roasting.
Remove from oven and transfer to a serving bowl. Adjust seasoning if needed and scatter walnuts over the top.