Ground Beef Calzones
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package pepperoni slices
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (6-ounce) can Italian-style or regular tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 (10-ounce) cans refrigerated pizza crust
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from mrfood.com
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut pepperoni slices in half, and set aside.
• Cook ground chuck, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet, stirring until meat crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato paste and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in pepperoni and cheeses.
• Combine egg and milk, stirring well; set aside.
• Unroll pizza crusts, and cut each into 4 squares. Spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture onto each square, leaving a 1-inch border around edges; brush edges lightly with egg mixture. Fold crusts in half diagonally. Press edges together to seal, using tines of a fork.
• Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; brush tops of calzones with egg mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.