Curried Chicken Chowder
From Southern Living Magazine (Nov 2013).
- 2 cups diced sweet onion (about 1 large)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups fresh yellow corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 2 cups uncooked, shelled frozen edamame (green soybeans)
- 1 (13.5-oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toppings: toasted coconut, green onions, peanuts, lime wedges
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Sauté first 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add broth and next 9 ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with desired toppings.
To Freeze: To preserve the textures of meat and vegetables in hot soup, it's important to cool hot soups completely before freezing. To quickly reduce the temperature, transfer to a large, shallow container (13- x 9-inch baking dish). Refrigerate uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cool. Transfer to airtight containers or zip-top freezer bags. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator 8 hours.