Sweet Tamale Pie
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- ◾ 1 pound ground sirloin beef (90% lean)
- ◾ 1 medium onion, chopped (1 med = 1/2 cup)
- ◾ 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- ◾ 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 cloves = about 1 tsp)
- ◾ 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained, divided
- ◾ 1 cup drained canned whole kernel corn
- ◾ 1 can (4 oz each) diced green chilies, divided
- ◾ 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ◾ 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ◾ 1 egg
- ◾ 1/3 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- ◾ 1 pkg (8.5 oz each) corn muffin mix
- ◾ 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (1 cup = 4 oz)
Adapted from hunts.com
1.Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray; set aside. Brown meat with onions, bell peppers and garlic in large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Remove 1/4 cup of the diced tomatoes for later use; set aside. Add remaining diced tomatoes, the corn, half of the green chilies, the salt and pepper to meat mixture; mix well. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into prepared pie plate; set aside.
2.Beat egg and milk in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add corn muffin mix; stir just until moistened. Add remaining green chilies, the reserved 1/4 cup diced tomatoes and the cheese; mix well. Spoon evenly over meat mixture in pie plate. Place on baking sheet.
3.Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center of the cornbread layer comes out clean. Cut into wedges to serve.