Macaroni and Cheese Quiche
- 1 lb. penne pasta (or similar)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallots, about 1 large shallot
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pkg. (8 ounces) shredded Italian five-cheese with cream cheese blend
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, about 4 oz.
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Preheat oven to 450. Coat 8" springform pan with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasts according to package directions.
2. In pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots; cook until just tender, 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth, cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. Gradually whisk in milk. Over medium-heat, brig to boil; cook until thickened and coats back of spoon, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes.
4. Whisk in eggs, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, Parmesan, zest, salt and pepper until blended and smooth. Stir in spinach and pasta. Transfer to pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. Run sharp knife around the edge of pan to loosen pasta. Let stand 20 minutes. Remove side of pan and serve.