Air Dried Buttercream
This will crust on the outside but stay moist on the inside. It also keeps! You can freeze it or refrigerate it for a couple of weeks.
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- pinch salt
- Whip meringue powder with water
- Switch to paddle and add confectioner's sugar
- beat well. Add shortening half way through addition of sugar
- Add salt and flavoring (if you want)
- Beat at low speed until smooth, about 5 min.
- Decorator's Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tlb. Clear Vanilla Flavor
- 1 Tlb. Clear Butter Flavor
- 1 Tlb. Other flavor (almond, cherry, etc.)
- 3 cups Crisco Shortening (NOT OIL)
- 2 Tlbs Flour
- 2 Tlbs Cornstarch
- 2 Tlbs Meringue Powder
- 4 lbs Powdered Sugar
If you don't have a heavy duty mixer, i.e. Kitchen Aide, you can cut the recipe in half and it works just fine.
Place flavorings in measuring cup and fill to 1-cup measure. Place liquid in mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients except for powdered sugar. Add one 2 lbs bag of powdered sugar and mix well. Add other 2 lbs. bag of powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
Place in bowl and keep covered at all time.
For Chocolate Frosting:
Replace equal amount of powdered sugar with Coca powder until chocolate color desired is achieved. Use chocolate flavor as other flavor and you may also add English Toffee flavor.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
Replace 2oz. of shortening with softened cream cheese, use lemon flavor as other flavor. Refrigerate but remove and let soften before icing cake.