Cauliflower Crust Calzone
It’s not complicated at all to make these calzones. It’s also really quick, which is a nice bonus. Feel free to fill the calzone with whatever you like. The classic filling is mozzarella and tomato, but play around and have fun with it. Enjoy!.
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets and processed
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons thick tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Pinch salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from theironyou.com
Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease liberally with olive oil.
In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets in batches (process until evenly chopped but not pulverized). Transfer cauliflower rice to a microwave dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked.
Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out as much moisture as you can (I squeezed out more than 1 cup of liquid). This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry. Otherwise you’ll end up with a mushy dough, not a crusty one.
Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl and add egg, mozzarella, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Mix well.
Using your hands, press the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into three discs (diameter should be about 5 inches).
Place in the oven and bake for 10 (no more no less, 10 minutes).
Remove from the oven and, working quickly, top the half of each disc with tomato sauce and mozzarella. Using a large spatula carefully lift the half of the disc without filling and fold it over the other part (that’s ok if the disc brakes a bit).
Use your fingers to push the edges of each calzone together and seal in the filling.
Bake in the oven for an additional 12 minutes.
One cauliflower crust calzone yields 161 calories, 8.3 grams of fat, 8 grams of carbs and 11 grams of protein.
You'll also love
- Grapefruit Sabayon Cakes 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Beer-Battered Baja-Style... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Sopa de Fubà (Collard Greens,... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Raspberry Glazed Chicken 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Asian Tuna Ceviche 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken Pot Roast 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Super Fast Vegetarian Taco Salad 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- HONEY GARLIC BAKED CAULIFLOWER 3.9/5 (48 Votes)