Pineapple Upside Down French Toast
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1 can crushed pineapple in juice - (20 oz) drained, reserving 1/4 cup juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread, 1" thick
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat, then stir in sugar until dissolved. Add pineapple, stirring well to incorporate. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half-and-half, reserved pineapple juice, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
Lightly grease a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish and spread pineapple mixture evenly over bottom. Dip bread slices into milk mixture and arrange in one layer on top of pineapple mixture. Pour any remaining milk mixture over all.
Bake French Toast in middle of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread is golden.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.