LOBSTER ROASTED WITH GINGER - CHICAGO RESTAURANT
Roasted Lobster with Ginger Alsace Gewurztraminer
Chef/Owner J. Joho, Everest
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 1-1/2 pound live lobster
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 2-1/2 x 1-1/4 inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into matchstick size strips
- 1-1/2 cups Alsace Gewurtzraminer
- 2 T olive oil
- 8 T butter, divided
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 1 T lime juice
- 1-1/2 T minced lime peel (green part only)
Adapted from flickr.com
1. Bring large pot of water to boil over high heat. Plunge lobster into water and cover. Boil 5 minutes. Transfer lobster to bowl of cold water.
2. Bring 3 ½ cups of water, one tablespoon of sugar and ginger to a boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil until ginger is tender and liquid is almost evaporated, about 45 minutes. Add wine and boil until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Drain lobsters.
3. Preheat oven to 425º. Remove lobster tail and claw meat from shells. Brush lobsters with olive oil. Place in heavy large ovenproof skillet. Place in oven and roast lobster meat ten minutes.
4. Meanwhile melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and sprinkle with remaining one tablespoon sugar. Sauté until wilted, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide spinach among plates.
5. Heat ginger reduction in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in remaining 5 tablespoons butter, lime juice and peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut lobster tails diagonal into slices. Fan tails atop spinach and garnish with claw meat. Drizzle sauce over lobster and serve.