Crockpot Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
All of your families favorite ingredients in one meal - ranch dressing, tater tots, bacon and chicken -- and some healthy veggies mixed in! Serve with a side salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped, approximately 1 cup
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped, approximately 1/2 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 - 2 lb package of tater tots, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheese, divided
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided (I used maple bacon)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix (I used Hidden Ranch original)
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, divided, optional
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh or dried parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 240mins
Adapted from momspantrykitchen.com
Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and cook the onion and celery until they are soft and translucent in appearance, approximately 3 minutes. Add the finely chopped garlic and continue cooking approximately 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Set aside.
Place 1/2 the tater tots on the bottom of a crock pot, that has been sprayed with Pam and sprinkle with 1/2 of the cooked onions, garlic and celery.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 of the bacon over top.
Place chicken pieces and 1 cup of the mixed vegetables on top and season with salt and pepper.
Place another layer of 1/2 cup of cheese and 1/3 of the bacon crumbles over top.
Place another layer of tater tots, cooked onions, celery and garlic, and the mixed vegetables on top, season again with salt and pepper and cover with the remaining cheese and bacon crumbles.
Mix the milk with the dry ranch dressing seasoning mix and pour over top OR pour 1 cup of prepared Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and 1/4 cup of milk over the top.
Sprinkle the fresh or dry parsley flakes over the top.
Bake in the crock pot for 1 hour on high and then turned it to low for an additional 3 hours. Please be sure to keep an eye on your crock pot while its cooking as different sized crock pot models cook differently. Yours might be just fine at 4 hours on low.
Note: you can omit the milk and the Hidden Valley Ranch dry Mix and Substitute 1 cup of already prepared bottled Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and 1/4 cup of milk in its place if you don't keep the Dry Hidden Valley Mix on hand in your cabinet.
These directions are for a 6 qt slow cooker.