Maple-Bacon Cupcakes are the sweet and savory treats that are sure to be a hit at your next potluck, school or church bake sale, school celebration, or birthday fiesta. These cupcakes are filled with the sweet flavors of good-quality maple syrup and rich, savory, crispy bacon, the contrast of these two flavors enhance and elaborate each subtle taste and texture making the overall flavor of these cupcakes pop.
- 4 1/2tablespoons4 1/2 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
- 1/2tablespoon1/2 tablespoon of bacon drippings, left in the fridge to become solid
- 11 egg
- 5tablespoons5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 4tablespoons4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/4cup1 1/4 cup of self-rising flour
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 11 tiny pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/4cup1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4cup1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained, plus a little extra to garnish
- MAPLE FROSTING:
- 4tablespoons4 tablespoons of butter
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1cup1 cup of powdered sugar or powdered turbinado sugar
- coarse grain sea salt, optional garnish
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cook some bacon in a fry pan, about 6 thick strips. Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/4 a cup of the bacon.
Beat the crud out of the butter and solidified bacon fat until light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined. Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and powder together.
Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined.
Fold in the bacon. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. Keep in mind the maple syrup is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
Scoop into cupcake papers and bake at 350°F for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then allow to cool completely on baking racks.
Whip together the butter, maple syrup, and sugar. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost, and garnish each cupcake with crumbled bacon and a tiny pinch of coarse grain sea salt, serve.