Italian Stuffed Peppers non-Vegan
- 4 medium green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped marinated red peppers
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing (I used Wishbone)
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp chopped olives
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp roasted sunflower seed kernels (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 Tbsp butter
Cut the peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and ribs. If the peppers are especially thick-walled (or you just want to save some time), you can microwave them for a few minutes before stuffing them.
Gently but thoroughly combine the next eight ingredients (plus sunflower seeds, if using) in a mixing bowl. Fill the pepper halves and fry in the olive oil, meat side down, over medium high heat 6 – 8 minutes until nicely crusted.
Turn the peppers, add 1/2 cup water, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until peppers are tender and meat is cooked through.
Remove the peppers from the pan and keep warm. Add the red wine and garlic to the pan juices. Stir well to remove any flavorful stuck bits. Cook down for 2 minutes, whisk in the butter, and pour sauce over the peppers.