Antipasto Pasta Salad (Cooks Country)
- 8 ounces sliced pepperoni , cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 8 ounces soppressata or salami, halved and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 10 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 jar pepperoncini (12-ounce), drained, (2 tablespoons juice reserved), stemmed, and chopped coarse
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound fusilli or campanelle
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese , aged
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers , drained, patted dry, and chopped coarse
- Optional - 1 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- Optional - 1 cup jarred artichokes, drained and quartered. 1 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Place one paper towel on microwave-safe plate. Arrange pepperoni in single layer on paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and layer soppressata on towel. Top with another paper towel and microwave on highest power until meat begins to render fat, about 1 minute. Set meat aside.
2. Whisk 5 tablespoons vinegar, olive oil,
mayonnaise, pepperoncini juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
3. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta and cook until al dente. Drain pasta, return to pot, and toss with 1/2 cup dressing and remaining vinegar. Adjust seasonings, spread dressed pasta on rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
Transfer to large bowl and cool.
5. Add meat, provolone, roasted red peppers, chopped pepperoncini, basil, and cooled pasta to mushrooms and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature. Salad can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.