sweet and spicy asparagus
- 1 pounds asparagus, ends discarded and cut into 3rds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Adapted from sweetflours.blogspot.com
1) Diagonally cut asparagus into 3 inch pieces.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili flakes and pepper. Set aside.
3) Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add 1/2 cup water and asparagus. Cover and cook until asparagus is still crisp to the bite, about 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover and pour off any remaining water.
4) Add oil, garlic and ginger to pan with asparagus. Sauté until lightly browned.
5) Add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook until sauce coats asparagus.
6) Sprinkle in toasted sesame seeds. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately