Caramel Apple Trifle
Trifles are terrific desserts because they're made in advance and feed a crowd. This caramel-apple version appeals to kids of all ages
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart Apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) Marzetti's® Caramel Dip, divided
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Additional apple pie spice, optional
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
* In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
* Stir in the apples, walnuts, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.
* Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
* In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
* Beat in 1/2 cup caramel topping and remaining apple pie spice.
* Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
* In a 3-1/2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, cream cheese mixture and apple mixture.
* Repeat layers twice.
* Garnish with remaining whipped topping and drizzle with remaining caramel topping.
* Sprinkle with additional apple pie spice if desired.
* Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Yield: 14 servings.