Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 20-ounce packages (2-1/2 pounds) pre-cut butternut squash (if using fresh squash, you'll need one large squash or 7-8 cups cubed)
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish (optional)
Adapted from parade.com
Combine all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
Using a hand-held immersion blender, purée the soup until silky smooth. (Alternatively, cool the soup slightly, then purée in a blender in batches, making sure to leave the hole in the lid open to allow the steam to escape.) Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning (if it tastes too sweet, add salt). Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.