Apple Crumb Pie
Tart apples, sweet raisins, and a crumb topping make for a blue-ribbon dessert. Pack the apples in tightly to minimize gaps between filling and crust once the pie is baked.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe Our Favorite Pie Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/282970/our-favorite-pie-crust)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 4 pounds Granny Smith apples (8 to 10)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, butter, brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Work with fingers until large clumps form; freeze.
On a lightly floured piece of wax paper or parchment paper, roll dough into a 14-inch circle. Carefully fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, gently lowering dough into bottom and sides of pie plate without stretching (you will have a 2-inch overhang all around). Refrigerate.
Place lemon juice in a large bowl. Peel, core, and slice apples 1/8 inch thick, transferring them to the bowl as you work. Add granulated sugar, raisins, cinnamon, remaining 1/4 cup flour, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine. Transfer apple mixture to pie crust, pressing in firmly. Fold dough overhang over filling, pleating it as you work your way around pie; press dough firmly against filling.
Bake 45 minutes, then sprinkle apple filling with crumb topping. Continue to bake until golden and bubbling, 30 to 45 minutes more. Cool at least 6 hours before serving.
You'll also love
- Orange Lime Vinaigrette 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Banana Muffins with Mascarpone... 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Orange Creamsicle Sugar Cookies 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- APPLE PIE MOONSHINE 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Pineapple Cake with Coconut Pecan... 4.4/5 (46 Votes)
- Cherry Cream Cheese Bake 4.4/5 (52 Votes)
- Nana's Small Fried Apple Pies 4.4/5 (27 Votes)